Wednesday 9 June 2010

THE FIRST GROUP MEETING

Today was the first group meeting for our final dissertation and it was an opportunity to discuss where I was up to in terms of the direction I wanted to take this final project. After a discussion with my piers and our lecturer (Lawrence) I had a clearer idea on what it was I actually wanted to achieve and here it is...

As the last project was a taster of using super 8 cameras and cine film as well as diving into the deep end with editing and final cut pro. I felt I needed to expand on it more as it was such a wide subject to cover.

I have chosen to focus in on the narrative and the use of film as well as still photography for this final dissertation. I will be researching into story books, poems and lyrics/songs to find a way of re using such narrative with a different twist.

I will be looking at other artists who use this form of media to produce their art. I am interested in the work of Julie Holland and I am keen to make contact with her with the possibility of meeting up with her and watching her at work.

I will also be looking at more work from William Burroughs such as "Drug Store Cowboy" to look at how the home movie footage is executed. Snub TV through Youtube and researching music videos such as Echo & The Bunnymen's - Crocodiles. Other useful examples that where name dropped by Ian Noble in our external examiner meeting where: UBU.com which is a sight where you can download experimental sound snipits. Also Dead City Radio was mentioned in a conversation with the Thanksgiving Prayer for America.

There is lots of research to undertake before I have a clearer picture of were this "Visual Narrative" (working title agreed on this afternoon) is going to go.






After the soup kitchen event I previewed my semester 2 videos at a couple of weeks ago I met up with a guy called Joe Galen who was also projecting still camera images onto a backdrop whilst bands where playing acustic music. I also discovered that Joe was signed to a Swiss record label and was soon to be releasing his first album "For Triangles" this would be a good starter for this project if I was given the opportunity to produce the video for one of the tracks? (Watch this space) The music is almost folky in its sound with injections of electronic and experimental sounds thrown into the mix - this fits in really well with the aesthetics of cine super 8 film.

1 comment:

  1. I should have had this layout for my last project!

    ReplyDelete