Thursday 12 August 2010

ANOTHER DATE WITH RICHARD SHILLING

I have been fortunate enough to persuade Richard to let me go along with him on another day creating Land Art a week on Saturday (21st August).

After explaining to Richard how enjoyable the first experience was he has now allowed me to join him a second time to help create Land Art with Rocks & Stones. I am hoping that Richard will let me assist him in creating his next piece so that I can experience a real creation first hand.

Richard says: "its not really about the final sculpture but the path leading up to it and what you discover on the way. A rock stack and my style of making them requires that the stones are flat and symmetrical, square edged and in matched pairs. Regardless of whether there are all the right-shaped rocks I need right by my feet (not that that ever happens) or if I have to look far and wide for them the effect I want is the same".

I am really drawn to the fact that most of the time Richard doesn't expect the sculpture to be there on his next visit - either someone has kicked it down or nature and the elements have overcome it and it is left as a pile of stones/rubble.

Below are just a few examples of some of Richards work...





No comments:

Post a Comment